I’ve always been a fan of Tetra aquariums, and the Tetra 3 Gallon Cube is no exception. In my personal opinion, I think it’s a perfect addition to any office, living room and even your kitchen, since it is small enough that it can fit just about anywhere, but also big enough for a betta fish. Before I get into the features, pros and cons of this Tetra aquarium, here’s a bit about the Tetra company in case you don’t know much about them.
About The Tetra Aquarium Company
The Tetra aquarium company is renowned for its sale of aquariums, ponds as well as fish food. It also supplies fish keepers and pond owners with products such as plant conditioners, water conditioners and even medicine. Again, in my opinion, they are a great company and their products are broad enough for seasoned hobbyists and beginners who like to enjoy life-long aquatic experience.
Tetra 3 Gallon Cube Fish Tank Features
Here’s an overview of what you’ll find if/when you decide to buy this week:
- Cube-shaped aquarium that can hold up to three gallons of water.
- Comes with a Tetra 3i filter.
- LED light -- this is a light that is used to highlight your fish. It creates a clear and visible vision of the fish.
- Feeding hole which provides a convenient place to feed your fish.
- The pedestal base.
- Low voltage power adapter.
- It also has a tetra small cartridge and a clear canopy to add to the appeal.
Tetra 3 Gallon Cube Fish Tank Review
Ok, so now let’s get to the good stuff, which is what I like about this aquarium. First off, this aquarium meets our minimum size requirements which is to hold at least 3 gallons of water. (Anything smaller is definitely not recommended!). It allows them to swim around, expand their fins comfortably and still has enough room for you to add plants and toys for your betta.
Second, the design of the tank. It’s a simple and moderm look and the design works for betta fish, since you can fit a filter, thermometer or heater anywhere you want. All three of which are super important if you plan on owning betta fish! It’s also lightweight and does not take up a lot of space, which means you can move it around if needed without too much hassle, even after being filled with water.
Lastly, the lid is pre-notched to allows you to hang an external filter comfortably, if you prefer that instead of the one that comes wiht it. (See below for more info on the filter).
As you know, there are no perfect aquariums. Depending on who you talk to, there is always one thing or another that you use some improvements. That being said, here are a few things that we think could be improved:
- The LED light is fairly bright and unfortunately, it is not adjustable. If you find that it stresses your betta fish, you may have to be imaginative a bit and somehow dampen the light effect. You can either have more hiding places in your tank, in case he/she needs a break, or place a see-through cloth on top of the tank to lessen the effect. It’s really up to you and your betta.
- In our opinion, the filter that comes with this 3 gallon fish tank is too strong for a betta fish. Although it does an amazing job at keeping a betta fish tank clean, it tends to push them around, which causes additional stress. Recommendation: Try it our yourself to see how it works with your betta. If you find that it is too strong, replace it with a filter that has an adjustable flow. For example, the Tom Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph Adjustable Flow. There are other options as well, so it will really come down to personal preference.
Tetra Cube 3 Gallon Product Demonstration
Have a look at the following video to get an idea on what it looks like in action:
Do you already own a Tetra 3 Gallon Cube? If so, we’d love to get your feedback by using the comment box below. Interested in other tanks? Check out our other fish tank reviews or check out our Betta Fish Starter Kit section. There is always something good on sale.