- This 5 gallon fish tank has a beautiful design
- Extremely easy to maintain
- Powerful lighting (great for live plants)
- Water tends to evaporate a little
- Heater not included
Updated on 2016-11-04 – The Fluval Chi II is a beautiful glass 5-gallon tank and is by far one of my favorites. Don’t get me wrong, there are a few things that I think need improvement (which I’ll get into in a minute), however as a whole I think it is a great tank. Keep reading for our Fluval Chi Review.
Fluval Chi II Features
Before I get into the pros and cons of this tank, I wanted to give you a quick list of the features that come with this tank:
Comes with one filter pad and one foam pad
Cover included (which is a must-have for bettas)
Amazing LED lights (17)
Cube rotates for easier cleaning and media replacement
Can hold 5 gallons of water
Made of glass
Fluval Chi 2 – Pros & Cons
1. As I mentioned already, the Fluval Chi fish tank is absolutely stunning and on top of that, it doesn’t take up too much room so it can go pretty much anywhere (bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc.). It also comes with almost everything you need to get started with betta fish: aquarium, filter, LED lighting, water conditioner, etc. The bubbling sound that the tank makes when the water spills over is also extremely relaxing, which makes the tank even more pleasant to look at. At least in my opinion.
2. I like the way they designed the filtration cube because you don’t have to take it out to change the filter. All you have to do is rotate the cube and open the door underneath to remove and replace the filter. It definitely makes cleaning the aquarium that much easier.
3. The LED lighting is also very powerful compared to other aquariums around the same size, which is great if you are planning on growing live plants in your tank.
Ok, now for the downsides. Earlier I said that the tank comes with almost everything you need, except for a heater. If you are new to the betta fish world, then one thing you need to know is that it is extremely important to have a betta fish heater if you want your betta to survive the long haul. So important that I wrote a complete blog post on it – see Importance of Having a Betta Fish Heater. If/when you buy this tank, just make sure you buy a heater to go with it.
Another thing is that the water seems to evaporate a little bit more with this aquarium. I don’t think that’s just the case with my set up because other people have been commenting about the same in different forums. Not a big deal, just make sure you keep an eye on it and fill it up when it gets too low.
Overall Opinion – This Fluval Chi is a fantastic selection and one of my favorites for holding bettas. Not only is it efficient and very easy to care for, it’s also has a very elegant design and looks great just about anywhere.
Updated on 2016-11-04: I’m in the process of updating some old blog posts/reviews that I made a while ago. In this case, I added more emphasis on the importance of purchasing a heater when you decide to buy this tank. I also updated the ratings to be more accurate. I originally had the “Size” factor as a 3.5, however this was an error and it has been upgraded to 4.5 stars, as it surpasses my minimum standard of 3 gallons for a betta fish.
Fluval Chi 2 Product Demonstration
Here’s a great YouTube video that will give you an idea on what the tank looks like in action:
We hope you found this Fluval Chi Review useful. Before you leave, please check out our SHOP page for amazing deals on tanks, decorations, supplies and more! Interested in other tanks? Check out our other fish tank reviews.