There are many types of betta splendens out there and the amazing thing about them is they are all very interesting. Their tails and colors all look beautiful, which is why they are a huge favorite among fish tank enthusiasts. The Combtail betta fish is no exception. This is probably one of the most difficult types of fish to identify since it could easily be confused with a Crowntail.
How To Identify The Combtail Betta
Here are some interesting traits that could help identify a Combtail betta fish:
- First and foremost, the main trait that helps to identify it is that the edge of the fins looks almost like a comb.
- Its tail spreads as wide as that as a Halfmoon but with a lot less smoother edges. There are some Halfmoons, however, that have fringes, but if it looks like fur rather than a more pronounced comb, then it is not a Combtail.
- It looks like a Crowntail but with less extended spikes, fringes, or rays.
- The splits between each ray should be drastic enough to be seen from afar. The splits should be at least a third from where it begins all the way to the tip, whereas a Crowntail’s splits are so drastic that it covers the outer half of its fins.
Other pictures that might help you identify it:
Interesting facts about the Combtail Betta Fish
- The Combtail is also referred to as the Half Sun betta.
- It is quite questionable as to how the Combtail came to be. It is believed to have been bred from a Crowntail and another type of Betta, hence, the more subtle tail edge. Others say it is indeed a bred type but that the Crowntail was actually an improved version of it. Of course there are some who think that the rays that extend past the edges of its fins are naturally occurring.
- The rays of the Combtail’s fins also come in a variety of shapes. There are some that seem to split at the tip, like a fork. There are also the more common shapes like pointed and rounded.
Combtail Betta Fish In Action
Before I forget, here’s a short video giving you a better idea on what the combtail betta fish looks like:
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
Do you know anything else useful or fun about the combtail betta fish that you think I should mention? Or other fun betta fish facts? If so, please comment on my post! If you are looking for new betta fish to own, check out our post “Best Places To Find Betta Fish For Sale Online“.