I would like to start my journey into blogging by giving you a few fun betta fish facts:
- Bettas are also called Siamese Fighting Fish and are a very popular aquarium fish because they are usually very colorful and are fairly easy to take care of. If you aren’t sure what they are, go to any local pet / aquarium store and you will most likely find them sold in small plastic cups or bowls.
- They are native to Thailand and other parts of Asia and can normally be found living in rice paddies and small standing waters.
- They are called fighting fish for a reason. They are territorial fish and can get very aggressive, especially when two males are placed together in the same tank. Unfortunately, this makes them good candidates for entertainment. In some countries, people even bet on the outcome of betta fish fights.
- Just because they are sold in small plastic bowls or cups, doesn’t mean they prefer to live that way. I’m not saying that you need a 20-gallon aquarium, but you definitely need to give them more than a plastic cup when you bring them home.
- They are low maintenance fish, not maintenance-free. They need a clean environment or else they will die.
- Average life of an aquarium betta is about 2-4 years if properly fed and its home is well maintained. In rare cases they have been known to go up to even 8-9 years.
- They eat all sorts of things, like betta pellets, live worms, mosquito larva, brine shrimp, live food, etc.
We hope you enjoyed these fun betta fish facts. If you have any to share, please use the comment form below. We’d love to hear from you.