If you are planning on owning a betta at some point in the near future, there is a list of betta fish supplies that you will need to get if you want to be able to properly care for it and to make sure that your betta lives a full and healthy life. This is also useful information for those of you who already have bettas, since there may be a few things you weren’t aware of.
Must-have Betta Fish Supplies
Before I cover the list of things you need to get, I just wanted to explain that the point of this post isn’t to scare you and make you think that you have to spend hundreds of dollars before you are ready to handle bettas. I just want to share some important tips that I’ve learned over the years. So what do you need? Let’s begin.
When choosing an aquarium for your betta, always make sure that you get one that has enough room for your betta(s) to swim around in. For a betta fish tank, I always recommend a minimum of least 3.0 gallons in size. However, if you have the budget and the room, I highly recommend that you go a little bit bigger and start with a 5 gallon or more. If you are not sure which one to start off with, take a look at some of the betta tank reviews we’ve done so far. The reviews are actually of regular fish tanks, but we focus on whether or not they are good for betta fish. Some people prefer to get “kits” because they usually have everything (or at least most) of what you need to get started. Other people prefer to buy all the components separately. It’s really a personal choice.
- SLEEK DESIGN: Rounded corners and clear glass canopy allow viewing from multiple angles.
- DAYLIGHT/MOONLIGHT LIGHTING: Bright white LEDs create a shimmering sunlight effect; blue LEDs produce a moonlit glow.
- EASY ACCESS: Hinged LED lighting and sliding glass canopy.
Whatever tank you decide to get, make sure that it has a hood on it. Why? Because betta fish are extremely good jumpers and if you don’t have a hood, you may end up seeing it on the floor at some point, and we don’t want that! Another important note about the hood is that some tanks come with a hood with builtin LED lights and some don’t. If you want to grow live plants eventually, then you will need a hood with LED lights.
If you are buying all your components separately, then make sure you get a filter. This is an absolute must if you want to maintain a healthy betta fish tank. But make sure you get the proper size for your aquarium. If you aren’t sure, do some research or talk to a local rep. You don’t want the water flow to be too strong for your betta. If it is too strong, your betta will have a hard time swimming, which will cause undue stress and possibly sickness.
If you end up getting a kit, then chances are the filter that comes with it was specifically designed for that tank and it should be enough. However, that is not always the case. Form time to time you will buy an aquarium kit and the filter is way too strong for your betta fish. If that happens, don’t worry! All you have to do is dampen (reduce) the flow somehow. Many aquarists will add a natural sponge to the filtration system to slow down the flow. Or you can do your research for the particular tank you bought and buy a different filter for it.
- Hygger 7W Internal Aquarium Filter delivers 110 gallon per hour of cycle clear water quietly for 2-10 gallon fish tank with preload filter media, ready to install - no additional tubing or circulation...
- The submerged motor at the bottom allows filter to work without fully submerged as long as water level surpass 2/3 of the filter in vertically. This intank filter is ideal for betta tank, planted...
- Two stages filtration provide crystal clear water for your aquarium: upper polyfiber floss chamber absorbs debris, fine to large particles and activated carbon chamber to remove any impurities, odors,...
In my opinion, this is an absolute must! Bettas are the happiest in warmer water. Anywhere between 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick. The problem is that all homes are different. You may be able to reach that temperature naturally but most times you won’t be able to, or the temperature will fluctuate too much, which is not good for your betta. Buying a heater will ensure that your bettas have the same temperature all the time, no matter what is going on inside the home. Just make sure that the heater you choose is adjustable. Another important thing I need to mention is that you need to make sure that you get the right wattage for the size of tank that you have and also make sure that you get a thermometer to make sure the heater is functioning properly. This is a very important item for your list of betta fish supplies. (Note: For more information, have a look at our post “Importance Of Having a Betta Fish Heater“.)
- Betta Fish's Favorite Gifts: ZEETOON Fish Tank Heater Suitable for all kinds of aquarium pets, Betta, tropical fish, goldfish, ornamental fish and turtles, can work in both brine and fresh water. Your...
- Mini Sized- Fully submersible compact betta fish heater Gift with 2PCS Aquarium Decor Artificial Plant. Specific perfect for mini aquarium under 5 gal/20L.for all shapes and materials fish tanks,...
- Smart Control: Adopted intelligent circuit board, with a precise sensing probe and thermostat heating system. Unlike other conventional heaters, need you to manually adjust the temperature. Our Smart...
Water Testing Kit
This is another very important component that a lot of people don’t invest in. If you are serious about keeping your betta alive for a long and healthy life, please invest in one of these. A testing kit will make sure that all the levels (Ph, nitrite, ammonia, etc.) are all in check. Why is that important? I’ll go into more detail in a later post, however in a nutshell, when a betta fish does his/her “business” it affects the level of ammonia and eventually nitrite in the water. These are toxic to your betta fish, so it’s important to keep an eye on these levels and the only real way of doing this is to test your water on a regular basis. My all-time favorite kit has always been the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Definitely a must-have when it comes to betta fish supplies!
- Contains one (1) API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT 800-Test Freshwater Aquarium Water Master Test Kit, including 7 bottles of testing solutions, 1 color card and 4 glass tubes with cap
- Helps monitor water quality and prevent invisible water problems that can be harmful to fish and cause fish loss
- Accurately monitors 5 most vital water parameters levels in freshwater aquariums: pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Bettas love it when you decorate their homes! Another thing they love is to have a place to hide from time to time when they feel like getting some alone time. Plants are a great idea and even some decorations that have their own “hidey holes” are a great idea, as long as the hole is big enough for him/her to swim in and out of. Also, I would avoid using plastic plants as much as possible. Betta fins are extremely sensitive and usually plastic plants have sharp edges to them. You don’t want your betta to shred their fins on them. (Click here for some betta fish decoration ideas.)
- 🐠【Dimension】the hollow tree trunk aquarium ornament measurement is 5.3*4*2.7inch, perfect for use in small and medium size fish tank (5-50gallon)
- 🐠【Small Fish Favorite】there are 5 holes on the trunk fish decor, your lovely pet betta or other smaller fish would be super happy to go in and out the trunk cave to sleep, rest, hide, play,...
- 🐠【Good glimpse for your fish】100% tree trunk imitation, very detailed, add underwater nature landscape to your aquariums, and you can easily to glimpse your little fish trough 3 side holes
Other Betta Fish Supplies
Here’s a list of basic things that all aquarists should have, regardless of what type of fish they have: a variety of different foods, additional filter media, gravel vacuum, water conditioner, bowl/bucket for transferring fish during major water changes, towel to clean up spillage & an aquarium scrubber.
Well, I think I’ve covered a lot of the important betta fish supplies you need to start off. If you think I missed something important, please let me know using the comment form below. And remember, the best betta tank is a clean betta tank!
Before you leave, please check out our SHOP for amazing deals on betta fish tanks, decorations, supplies and more!
Need an extra fish tank for your bettas? Have a look at our reviews on the Fluval View, Fluval Chi and/or Fluval Edge 6 Gallon. They are fantastic tanks to get started.